Monday, June 05, 2006

last note to my grandmother

I Fed-Exed this note to my grandmother, just a few days before she died. I think it's a nice note:

Dear Grandmother,

I'm sorry not to have the time to write a longer or more elegant note, but I want to send this off to you quickly.

Just from habit, I found myself about to write, "I hope you feel better," but I immediately thought that that was too hackneyed and insubstantial a wish for you. But now that I've given it a little more thought, I think that "I hope you feel better" is a good thing to say in this situation. I know you're ready to feel better as well, and I can't help but think that you're ready to move on to something different. I don't know what comes next in life, or death, but I hope that whatever it is is what you want it to be.

I love you very much and am glad I was able to know you. You've made a big difference in my life.

Carroll

P.S. I'm still trying to play a good host to your father's amethyst stickpin ring. I'll keep it safe.


(handwritten 4/18/02...Gradmother died 4/23/02)

0 comments: