Thursday, June 01, 2006

dreams

I wish I had the discipline to sit up after my dreams and write them down in a journal. I have lots of dreams, and they're in great detail. I'd like to be able to be better at lucid dreaming...I've managed it a couple of times, but not for many years. I love both sleeping and dreaming: I can't imagine not being able to remember my dreams, as Jerry can't. Dreaming lets me see places I've been, and not been, in all sorts of different ways. I can think of most any place, or thing, and without even working hard, run through examples of whatever it is, without even working hard.

Oddly enough, even though I've lived in Boston for 7 years, I've only had a handful, if even that many, of dreams that've taken place here. I'm not sure why that is...maybe because I don't care much for Boston; but still, I would've thought Boston would show up more than 3 or 4 times.

I had a dream last night that might've reflected some of the blog entries I've made recently: I know that the one about my mother hearing that one of her eighty-year-old friends still had her own mother living was one of them. Though I can't remember it in any detail, I had a dream about my grandmother's dying.

In the dream my family was on a school bus for some reason. My grandmother and grandfather were up front. My grandmother was sick and told my grandfather that she didn't want to have any resuscitative means used on her next time she was in troubled health. Within a minute or two she had a heart attack, or something similar, and died right there on the bus.

The interesting thing was that her mother, whom I never met, and whom I know (in the dream) looked nothing like her real mother, was there. We all cried and cried, and mourned throughout the rest of the dream. All the above is a gross simplification of the dream, but covers some of the high points.

0 comments: