Sunday, May 21, 2006

A busy mind makes for no sleep!

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, since I had to be up by 5 this morning. I finally got to sleep at 3:30: my mind was going non stop, begetting one thing after another after another. Some of the things my mind ran through (I can't remember the exact order):

1. I thought about how I'd teach someone some musical concepts, like what the difference is between a half step, a whole step, various intervals. I know...weird. That begat...

2. ...wondering if I could remember how to draw, in my mind, the letters of the Greek alphabet. That begat...

3. ...wondering if Greek and Russian print had capital letters, or if all the printed letters are written the same. Probably the latter, though I imagine the script form of writing has capital letters at the beginning of sentences, etc.

4. ...wondering if "Cyrillic" referred to the Russian (and Bulgarian, etc.) language in general, or just to the Russian characters of the alphabet. It's the former. That begat...

5. ...wondering if Finland is on the west side of Sweden and Norway, or on the Russian side. It's the latter I saw on a map today. That begat...

6. ...thinking about the fact that I couldn't sleep because I was thinking too much. I thought about how to stop my mind's rambling converstation; and then I thought about how I was thinking about why was thinking about what I was thinking about. Yet another circle. That begat...

7. ...(I have to remember: there was a lot more that took up the five hours!)

0 comments: