Tuesday, September 12, 2006

a rigid mind is a terrible thing

Q: After a doctor's appointment this morning I went out to my motorcycle and couldn't start it up. Here's the scenario: can you tell where my mind made its fatal error? This is a good lesson for anyone who ever does troubleshooting of any sort!

Usually, I put the key in the ignition and turn the ignition to the on position. The green neutral light comes on. Then I push the start button to start up the engine.

Today, I went out, put the the key in the ignition and turned the ignition on. The green ignition light didn't come on as usual, for some reason. I've been having some other electrical-related issues lately and figured that the ignition switch, or something connected or related to it, had quit working. I poked around for a long time and then had to call a wrecker. Before the wrecker arrived, I figured out the problem, in a frustratingly "duh" moment.

So?

A: The green light that comes on when the ignition is turned on ISN'T the ignition light...it's the light that comes on WITH the ignition. Right in capital letters on the instrument cluster, the heading above the green light is "NEUTRAL." So today, the green light didn't come on when I turned the key, not because the ignition was faulty. It was because the motorcycle wasn't in neutral. When I was messing with the ignition and key on the right side of the motorcycle, I couldn't think of anything but the ignition and possible electrical problems. But when I went around to the left side of the motorcycle finally, to check out the kickstand/kill switch, I then re-remembered that there should be a green "Neutral" light on. Voila.

Live and learn. At least I figured it out before the wrecker arrived.

0 comments: